[Northern] Northern Regional Warlord

Burke McCrory burkemc2 at home.com
Thu May 10 22:43:41 PDT 2001

At 06:13 PM 5/10/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>On Fri, 4 May 2001 14:29:28 -0500
>"Walter Robin" <aborman at brightok.net> wrote:
>
> >By all accounts NR Warlord was a great success.  Each of the region's
>groups contributed to the >event to make it a truly regional endeavor.
>
><SNIP>
>
> >The event was also a grand financial success, and it is our pleasure to
>offer each of the
> >groups a dividend of the proceeds.  The amount comes to about $80 (each)...
>
> >If your group does not need the money, we can contribute your share to any
>worthy project you
> >desire, for example:
>
> >regional tabards  ( remember:  sca funds==sca property )
>
>As Nordsteorra Herald, I will have to ask what design you were proposing for
>the tabard. At present, the Northern region does NOT have a registered
>badge...or arms...or name (aside from that of my office.)
>
>Although Ld. Owain offered a design at NRW, that personal badge design was
>failed by the College of Heralds in January. It is in direct conflict with
>registered arms, and cannot be used. In fact, the design, in and of itself,
>cannot be registered--it violates heraldic rules.
>
>Any registrations of this type need to go through my office...and need to be
>a design supported by a concensus of the North.
>
>Regards,
>Tadhg, Nordsteorra

Actually Tadha this IS outside of your responsibility as Northern Regional
Herald.  If people want to make tabards that have the Gryphon Star emblem
on them, or any other emblem for that matter, that is their
choice.  Enforcement is not part of your job description.  You point out
that the emblem is in conflict with a set of official arms else where in
the Society and that maybe true (although I could not find the exact
conflict in the O and A).  That only means that it can't be registered as
an official device unless it is changed or the conflicting person gives
their approval for the conflict.  This particular symbol has been around
for over 5 years and is commonly associated with northern fighters.  You
point out that the Northern Region doesn't have a badge or arms, that is
true since the Northern Region does not exist as anything, outside of
Ansteorra.  If a badge is to be registered and associated with the North
Region, it would either be registered to a person or to a
group/kingdom.  Then permission could be given to use it by the registering
party.  To my knowledge Lord Owen did not make any representation of this
being an official device or arms, he just suggested that it should be used
as a symbol on the war tabards of the unofficial northern army, as it has
been for the last five years on the NR Warlord tabard.  As to the design
being rejected by the college,  I could not find any mention of it in any
of the ILoI, ICC, Loi, or Loc that Francois la Flamme has so kindly made
available.  If the submission was rejected, perhaps you could make sure
that the local herald informs the submitter of that fact, which is part of
your responsibilities.  As to your last comment that a design needs to be
supported by a consensus of the North, I believe that is what Lord Owen and
others are trying to do.  Their attempts to rally a Northern Army with
common livery is just that, consensus building.  I don't see anyone else
trying to do anything.  If you don't support this goal that is your choice,
this game is big enough for everyone, but it does not give you the right to
try and destroy what others are trying to build.

Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald, op
(member of the Ansteorran College of Heralds since 1979)