[Northern] Re: Doireann's challenge

aelfwyn at coxconnect.net aelfwyn at coxconnect.net
Tue May 15 18:55:57 PDT 2001

That's easy, Doireann:

I got into it because it looked like fun, but I stayed for the people. People like the then Squire Burke and Lady Gunhilda, who kept Kat & I from making too many mistakes & always made sure that we had a place to stay & food to eat at events. I remember offering to repay Burke & him telling me just to offer the same help to others when I was able.

People like Estril, Haldane and Ragnar, who worked quietly but steadily in Mooneschadowe, showing me that service didn't have to be showy to be significant.

People like Sir Hildebrand and his Lady, Kerri, who opened their home to fighters and non-fighters alike every Wednesday for I-don't-know-how-many years

People like Count Finn and Baroness Roz, who taught me never to cook for just ten, 'cause you never know when you might need to feed twenty, and also that there's never a wrong time for singing.

Of course,there's Kat - hey, sis, here's a memory for you: remember sprinting uphill through the underbrush to listen to Duke Inman sing "Golden Eyes"?

There are so many others, most recently the newbies, such as Paula and Erin, whose boundless enthusiasm and wonder have helped to revitalize my own.

My gratitude goes out to each and every one of you, both in the North & in the other regions of the Kingdom. I would rather pass a weekend in your company - even those of you that I don't always agree with - than with most Mundanes I know.

Thanks, guys!
Aelfwyn