[Northern] [Northern]

Susan O'Neal catmafia at swbell.net
Tue May 15 11:55:33 PDT 2001

At 12:14 PM 5/15/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>My challenge is this, and I lay it on the table in front of every single one
>of you:
>
>I ask that each of you who are willing sit down for a few minutes and write
>the reasons you started playing. Tell me your story. If you want to send it
>to the list, fine. If you would rather send it to me privately, also fine.
>Even if you just sit down, write it down, and send it to no one, you will
>have remembered it for a few minutes. I am not asking for a game of “but!
>But! he/she said/did/thought/thought about thinking
” I am only asking about
>you. I ask any who are willing to take up this challenge. I am curious to
>know, and I want this region to remember.
>
>Yours in Service
>Doireann inghean ui Brolchain

Wow, what a wonderful post.  I too would love to know the stories of why
people started playing and with it, why they continue.  And in responce to
something Dairmond said, I hear of people who used to play and I wonder why
they are no longer here.  I came to this game through my daughter's passion
and I dearly thank those of you who have fed and encouraged it.  I also
face the reality that there have been many events that the thought of
undercurrent of bickering that would be there was the final weight that
pushed me over on the decision of weather to attend or not.

Having only played 2 years, it seems presumptous to make some comments, but
it also hurts greatly watching something that we have made such a big part
of our life become something that contention rules.  I am a person who
desires peace and harmony.  I have no solutions to offer, but agree with
Doireann that pulling back to look at why we/you do this may help the
region as a whole put the current discussion/disagreement into a broader
focus.  As for the Principality issue, it really doesn't matter to me one
way or the other, the far greater issue is that the area can learn to work
together and provide a safe haven for all that is beautiful, honorable and
full of grace that is the Dream.

Susan