[NR] Serving (one more time)

Amelia Buckner vyxnlady at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 29 05:19:24 PST 2002

(This better work!)

                wInterkingdom Serving Discussion

	Greetings! This year at Northkeep's wInterkingdom event I chaired a panel
on serving feasts. Our topics ranged from tips on serving to being hall
steward or head server (not feast-o-crat).  Here is a list of the points
that were made:

	Serving should be fun.  If you like to serve, great, but don’t force others
to (they may not share your passion).
        Musicians are people too.  If you are serving don’t forget that they
like to eat.  Finger foods and lots of beverages are a favorite in
Northkeep.
	Don’t let anyone at your table or serving with you make you feel
uncomfortable.  Again we are here to have fun, never let someone else ruin
your event.  If you have a problem, ask the Hall Steward/ Head Server to
find a solution.
        Time for a simple definition-
  Hall Steward- The person who sets up the hall. This means he/she is
responsible for the decoration of the hall on Friday night, for the
arrangement of the tables for any classes or displays or contest that will
happen in the hall and for the table lay out for feast and court. Anything
having to do with the hall should at least be brought to the attention of
the Hall Steward, if not run by them.
  Head Server- The person who asks people to serve and directs them during
feast. This means he/she is responsible for finding out how many tables will
be setup and served.  Then he/she needs to find enough servers and get them
organized before feast.
        These definitions have been and will be combined, added to, and
different for each person and each event.  This is what I thought they
should be.
        Feast-o-crats, will you have time to go out during hall setup and
make sure that the number of table you cooked for are the number of tables
that have been setup for feasters?  This should be the job of a Hall
Steward.  When you make your bid for feast you might try to find someone who
is willing to oversee the hall setup and run the servers.
        Hall Stewards, if you are interested in running the hall for feast,
find out who the feast-o-crat is for the event and ask.  Organizing the
serving before the day of the event makes everything run much smoother.
Find out how many feasts will be sold and how many tables will be set-up, if
you can.  You can either rely on the people attending the event to volunteer
to serve or you can ask specific people to.  Talking to the servers a day or
two before the event, helps everyone stay on the same page.  Don’t forget to
check about tabards, if you want the servers in them make sure that there
are some available and clean.
        The one complaint my panel put the most emphasis on was a lack of
organization.  When the feast is planned and no one is asked or offers to be
Head Server/ Hall Steward, it can ruin the event.

					Enjoy the many feasts to come,
						Lady Aelfwyn Webbestre