[NR] Protectorate competitions

Maleah baroness_maleah at cox.net
Tue Jul 30 14:05:03 PDT 2002

This was posted to the Ansteorra list and I thought you all might find it
interesting and useful for the Protectorate competitions. Those of you on
this list could you please forward the info to your group lists?? Thanks.

Maleah
Baroness of Namron

Stefan said:

Well, for those who would like to try some medieval mustard
and vinegar recipes, who don't live by Morgan or can't convince
her to share, check out these files in the Florilegium.
In the FOOD-CONDIMENTS section:
Mustard-art        (5K)  9/14/00    "Mustard" by Ld. Daniel le Vascon du
Navarre
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/Mustard-art.html
mustard-msg       (88K)  9/30/01    Mustard seed in period. sauces. recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/mustard-msg.html
And in the FOOD section:
Vinegar-art       (20K)  6/26/01    "What's so special about Vinegar?" by
                                       Mistress Christianna MacGrain.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Vinegar-art.html
Vinegar-NJFCC-art (18K) 10/23/01    "Vinegar: Not Just for Cleaning
Coffeepots"
                                       by THL M·irÌn ben DhÌarmait.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Vinegar-NJFCC-art.html
vinegar-msg       (51K) 10/25/01    Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/vinegar-msg.html

Making mustard using these period recipes and redactions would be a good
way for folks new to period cooking to try things out. They are pretty
straight forward and don't generally require any unusual ingredients.
Someday, I will get around to doing the mustard recipes I've been
planning to do. :-( Be aware that most mustards require some aging, so
making them the day before an event won't work. Which unfortunately, is
when I usually think about it.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net