[NR] Army of Heroes,Northern Chapter

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 24 11:22:20 PDT 2002

If I may be so bold (particularly since I'm not likely to ever be where I'll
have to respond to the word chosen) I have some thoughts.
First - the commanders who are going to use it need to make the decision,
and not here.

Second, short is better - to get through the confusion I assume exists on
the battle field.  2 syllables is better than one, since it allows a
recognizable audio pattern to be established (this being one of the reasons
why army's later went to bugles for signals - but you knew that).  It needs
to be as simple as possible, for the same reason that heraldic devices need
to be simple - easy recognition.   You might want to consider ENGLISH since
it's the language most likely to be spoken by the combatants, and so they
may hear it correctly.  "Arm àirde" is great, but how many people in the
region will pronounce it the same way? (besides being three syllables).
Krieg-star has the benefit of being easy to pronounce - that's KRY-g-star -
right? (joke)

Gryphon would be great - except of course that a) it represents a specfic
subgroup og the north already and b) (whether you agree or not) has
political connotations.  The term should be politically neutral, or it's
pointless as a unifying thing.

Northstar - ok, *I* think it sounds a smidge goofy, but it _would_ be a
really good choice.

You might also consider randomly chosen terms (Lepton, orange, bubba,
whatever) or something short that will key mentally to whatever people are
using to identify the group or a banner that you are using to rally the
group around.  These, at least, are likely to be neutral politically.

Other suggestions - Northland, Northmen, Redland, Redstar, Ninestar,
Northern, Dustbowl, you get the idea.

Marc/Diarmaid
"Stellaaaaa!"