[NR] Fwd: [trimaris] Calibration Issues

CelticNorthStar at aol.com CelticNorthStar at aol.com
Mon Mar 25 09:49:53 PST 2002

From: EmbassyAnsteorra at aol.com
Full-name: EmbassyAnsteorra
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 12:41:14 EST
Subject: Fwd: [trimaris] Calibration Issues
To: CelticNorthStar at aol.com

From: "Merc" <merc at radknives.com>
To: <trimaris at trimaris.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 16:27:48 -0800
Subject: Re: [trimaris] Calibration Issues

 The problem boils down to training, and in some cases re-training. Some
folks do fine until they enter an important list, or go to war. They get soo
pumped up on adreneline that they either don't feel good blows, and think
them light (even when they leave bruises through armour), or they fail to
realize that the blow they thought they had delivered normally was actually
of the Mac truck variety (again due to being pumped full of adrenaline).
You also have those fighters who rarely show up to fight except at wars, who
have no clue as to how hard they're hitting, or to the blows they're
ignoring.
 Having fought in the front shield rank many times, I can tell you that it
gets tough to distinguish between blows delivered by opponents, and getting
"hafted" by your own side. If I see it fall, I'll acknowledge it, no
problem, but if I don't, I'm rarely sure unless it's a very solid blow.
 With thrusting, you have a problem of some folks who get their head rocked
slightly calling the thrust light (a dumb move), so that a thrust that I
would take as good, an Atlantian might ignore.
 The Marshallate, and chivalry must also take a part in the blame, as
sometimes word doesn't get passed to all of the fighters that a certain
convention is in place at a given war (like no face thrusts or touch only to
the face).
 A fighter SHOULD be able to move from kingdom to kingdom and fight by the
same rules and standards, but for some idiotic reason that isn't the case,
which is one very important reason why we have these kinds of problems at
wars.
  Untill a single set of  rules and standards are enforced society wide
(with no individual kingdom conventions), and ALL fighters, Marshalls, and
constables on the field, are thoroughly trained in them, them you'll keep
having these "accidents" happening.

                               Duncan the opinionated, etc.