[NR] Re: food sales exemption law

Lori Campbell lcampbell at oltn.odl.state.ok.us
Wed Aug 13 09:50:05 PDT 2003

> So we become an agent of the tax commission, and pay for the
> privilege of doing so?

I'm sure quite a few will see it that way.  It isn't exactly how I would have put it.  Don't misunderstand my view on this.  I understand the theory behind the new laws.  I simply think they are a
little too broadly worded for my peace of mind.  I see the point in trying to crack down on events that exist for the primary purpose of selling stuff (gun shows, ren faires, flea markets, etc.).  We
aren't that kind of event.  Our merchants are individual salespeople and as such should be responsible for collecting and submitting their own sales tax.  Placing our organization in a position of
regulating whether or not they do what the law requires (indeed, forcing us to handle their money for them) is, IMO, making us do OTC's job.  Sorry, that's just my opinion.

Lori Campbell
Administrative Law Tech
Cartwright Law Library
Room B-6, Oklahoma State Capital Building
ext. 3386