[NR] Re: food sales exemption law

Wed Aug 13 11:51:57 PDT 2003

> not the same thing at all.  If I pay a tax, I am just another
> person paying
> in, in this case, ir I promote an event, I am required to
> "COLLECT" the
> taxes and forward them to the tax commision, and don't even
> get rewarded
> for doing so.  An unpaid tax collector.
>      Ewen

Actually, the term is "tax remitter."  You can ignore the requirements of
the act and not file the paperwork; however, you are likely to become a
taxpayer.

As for being unpaid, the act states:  "G.  For the purposes of compensating
the promoter or organizer in keeping sales tax records, filing reports and
remitting the tax when due, a promoter or organizer shall be allowed a
deduction of the tax due as provided in Section 1367.1 of Title 68 of the
Oklahoma Statutes."  The law allows the organizer (or a permitted vendor) to
deduct 1.25% (or 2.25% in some cases) of the sales tax up to $3,300 per
month.  That's a better deal than I get keeping the books and filing the
papers for my income tax.

Bear