[NR] Re: food sales exemption law

Fitzmorgan at aol.com Fitzmorgan at aol.com
Wed Aug 13 12:27:52 PDT 2003

In a message dated 8/13/2003 1:47:22 PM Central Standard Time,
okrabbit at cox.net writes:

> I agree that we should not be responsible for collecting taxes for the
> government also Kat.  How are we supposed to give them these taxes?  Are
> there forms that anyone that holds an event in OK will have to fill out and
> send along a big check to the OTC?  How is it going to affect W. Baronial
> merchants? (sorry I may have missed that decision if it was made earlier)
>
> Does it affect:
>     Feast?
>     Tavern?
>     OK merchants with a tax permit?
>     OK merchants without a tax permit?
>     Out of state merchants without a tax permit?
>     Out of state merchants that have an OK tax permit?
>
> curious,
> Rabbit

       I can pretty much assure you that the SCA is not going to be
collecting taxes for the State of Oklahoma.  If it tuns out that this law applies to us
the best you can expect is that only those with valid tax permits will be
allowed to merchant in Oklahoma.    That isn't an official decision from the NR
Seneschal, (I don't make that call) but I'll bet you anything you care to wager
that it's true.

     For Wiesenfeuer Baronial, only merchants who have a valid OK Tax Permit
will be permitted to merchant.  As of September 1st no one will be permitted
to merchant at an SCA event in Oklahoma.  This applies to everyone whether they
have a tax permit or not.  The reason for this is the requirement that we
apply for a Special Event permit 20 days before the event and pay a $50.00 fee
for the permit.
       At the moment it appears that feasts and taverns run by the SCA are
OK, but this is not entirely clear.  For now they are being allowed.  Taverns
that are being run for profit by an individual would be considered merchants and
would be banned.  Some taverns have been giving away their food and accepting
voluntary donations to defer their costs as a way around the sales tax
requirements.  I don't know if this is still being permitted or not.  I'll find out.

       This whole issue is being looked into to determine how all this
applies to us and what we have to do to be in compliance with the new law.  Once
that is done new policies will be made and announced.  We do not have a clear
idea what those policies will be yet.  With luck the new policies will be in
place by October, but there are no guarantees.

Robert Fitzmorgan
Northern Regional Seneschal