[NR] looking for info for Tax info dealing with merchants

Annais de Montgomerie annais at cox.net
Fri Jan 30 18:46:41 PST 2004

Chass et alia,

You are correct.  It is the local group who has to pay the $50.00 charge to
the Oklahoma Tax Commission, not each individual merchant.

There was some concern when this law was first in effect that even though
the SCA is a not for profit organization, we are still required to perchase
the license.  If I recall correctly, even the folks at the Tax Commission
didn't know for sure.  Some said no we weren't covered, others said we were.
Because of this, the Kingdom Senschal put a hold on merchanting in Oklahoma.

Then, right before Namron Protectorate 2003, the Kingdom Seneschal issued a
statement that said that if an Oklahoma group wished to have merchanting at
their event, to contact her and she would grant approval/disapproval on a
case by case basis.

You've asked how this has affected merchanting in Oklahoma.  My opinion
is... (deep breath)

1.   It is now up to the Kingdom Seneschal to say "Yea or Nay".  And she's
basing that verdict on past performances of groups that have had merchants
under the new Oklahoma statute...On the way they've worked with the state in
getting the required paperwork submitted (properly and on time) and on the
way the local SCA group works with the requirements set by the Kingdom
Seneschal Office (getting the required paperwork to her, properly and on
time).

2.  Most groups, in realizing the responsibility, liability, the ickity
paperwork involved, and the monetary outlay have opted to not have merchants
at their events.  (Can't say as I blame them.)

3.  Because folks realize that merchanting is "off" in Oklahoma at this
point, are no longer prepared to go to an event and spend their money.  The
merchants realize that since no one is spending money, they will not set up
shop at an Oklahoma event.  It is more financially sound for merchants to go
elsewhere at this time.

In conclusion, I say that merchanting in Oklahoma has suffered greatly.  No
one is shopping and no one is selling.

Just my little ol' opinion,

Annais