[NR] A Question For The Chivalric Fighters....

Zubeydah zubeydah at northkeep.org
Tue Jul 27 22:28:22 PDT 2004

In my never ending quest to educate myself as to What Makes An Event Cool for Chivalric Fighters....  I would love feedback on the following questions:

1)  When fighting in a serious, high-stakes tournament... do you prefer to have only one or two bouts going on at a time, so you can watch the fights you're not paired in, or do you prefer to have as many fields going as can reasonably be done, so that you stay 'warm' between bouts and don't have as much down time?

2) When fighting in a tournament... what can the list mistresses do or not do to make it flow more smoothly? Is there a particular style that works better than others? How does the means in which the tournament is "list-mistressed" affect your participation / enjoyment / etc... For those who are / have been / enjoy doing list mistressing... what types of accoutrements / accessories / supplies do you a) need b) want to have on hand? Bare minimum and ideal conditions?

3) When fighting in an outdoor, cold weather tournament.... Do you prefer warm beverages? Do you prefer non-iced water?  Would "fisherman's friend" style handwarmers enhance your ability to fight? Or do you just want a roaring fire somewhere nearby the field to warm up by?  What would be the ideal and perfect circumstance to make outdoor, cold weather fighting more enjoyable?

4) What makes a list field ideal, when it comes to size, for one on one combat? (square footage)

5) If weapons racks were provided near the field, would you utilize them, or pile your stuff in your 'own spot'?  Would long, sturdy benches by the field be useful, or just in the way?

... if there are other aspects I've failed to ask about, that would make an event Just That Much Better for chivalric fighting... please don't hesitate to speak up and suggest / mention it....

always curious, ever learning,

-zubeydah jamilla al-badawiyya
Captain, NR Synchronized Waterbearing & Cheerleading Squad