[NR] Rattan Taping Questions

marc adkins winkleried at oecadvantage.net
Wed Sep 15 16:11:01 PDT 2004

Ok As it stands for the current edition of the Society Marshal Handbook Sec
VII Weapons Standards
4. The full length of the blade, including the tip, shall be wrapped with
tape in a
manner which allows no rattan splinters to protrude.
5. Low Profile Thrusting Tips are the same diameter as the sword they are
mounted on. They must be constructed of at least 1-1/ 4 inch (31.75 mm) of
closed-cell foam (although at least 1-1/ 2 inches (38.1 mm) are
recommended). The thrusting tip will be securely attached with at least 1/ 2
inch (12.7 mm) of progressive give across the face of the thrusting tip
without
allowing contact with the rigid tip of the weapon. (Note: Pressing with the
thumb into the center of the thrusting tip is not an adequate test. The give
must
be across the entire face of the tip.) This type of thrusting tip may be
only
used for single-handed weapons and it must be marked with contrasting tape.
(e. g., red tape with a silver sword and yellow for a black sword

Also
8. Edged weapons will have all cutting edges marked with contrasting tape.

According to the Anseorran Participants hand book in combat equipment
standards:

C. Striking surfaces/edges, flats, and non?thrusting tips:
1. Must have a minimum cross section, after taping, of 1?1/4 inches (32 mm).
2. Must be rounded and have no sharp edges.
3. Shall not be constructed so as to allow a forced entry of more than 1/2
inch (12.5 mm) into any legal
faceplate.
4. Shall be completely covered with a minimum of fiber reinforced tape with
the striking surface marked in a
contrasting color.
D. Thrusting tips and Butt Spikes:
1. Must be securely attached to the weapon with a minimum of fiber
reinforced tape with the striking surface
marked in a contrasting color.

Now this for this edition of the participants handbook, There will probably
be changes in the upcoming participants handbook, But I suggest that you
confer with your Knights Marshall on this.
Lord Wilhelm von Winkleried
Knights Marshall Barony of Namron