[NR] Waterbearing at events...

zubeydah at northkeep.org zubeydah at northkeep.org
Wed Jan 19 13:32:49 PST 2005

I am hoping that all and any participants at Northern Regional events, whether
partaking in combat or not, could answer a few questions about waterbearing at
events - any feedback would be much appreciated.

In the past, often times waterbearing service was limited solely to those
directly associated with chivalric combat.  It has been my recent effort as
Northern Regional WB to expand this service to archery, rapier, and, indeed,
every participant at an event, and to provide more than the "standard"
offerings of pickles, gatorade and oranges.

My questions are these:

At those events that expanded waterbearing services have been offered (2003
Crown Tournament, 2003 Castellan & Mooneschadowe Guardian, 2004 Castellan &
Mooneschadowe Guardian, to a lesser degree, 2003 and 2004 Namron Protectorate:

* Did you, as a participant in any fashion, receive benefit from expanded
waterbearing service?  (beverages, iced water, snacks, food items, etc.)

* Do you feel that such service enhanced the event, or your enjoyment of the
event?

* Do you feel that enhanced waterbearing at an event would be worth $0.25 more
at Gate as part of event fees?

- or -

* If an increase of $0.25 at gate per person at events would be too much, would
you be willing to support fundraising events for your local waterbearing
Guilds, with such funds being strictly utilized for waterbearing service?

* Is there anything that you feel would improve waterbearing service at
Northern events?

* Are you interested or willing to participate in, or start up, a waterbearing
Guild in your area?

* D) None of the above, just drop a cooler chest full of water on a table
somewhere and quit the fuss.

I'm trying to get a feel for the level of service people would LIKE to see, and
what we can do to provide it. Some have said we're doing too much, others have
said we aren't doing enough.  At each of the events listed above, waterbearing
costs were approximately $70 to $100 dollars, to cover the basic neccessities
as well as expanded menu items and volume of coverage. In some cases, the event
had a budget item for the costs. In other cases, the costs were absorbed by
those providing waterbearing.

I appreciate your feedback. Replies can be sent to me privately, or via the
list, whichever you're more comfortable with.

In watery service to the North, where the Black Star shines the brightest,

Zubeydah al-Badawiyya