[NR] A Little Something To Amuse and Bemuse Those Returning

R. Smith Russ.Smith at randomgang.com
Sun Mar 20 18:53:17 PST 2005

To my fellow Mooneschadin, neighbors of the Northern Region of Ansteorra,
and all others I chose to copy to: Shw mae!

I have been known in the Society and these regions as Chandranath for
several years, but still it is certain that many who read this will not
know me, and good gentles, you may stop reading if you wish, for this will
affect you not a bit.

And so to those of you who remain, it is no big secret that I have been
absent much and uninvolved almost entirely, and yes part of that has been
trying to save money and thus being selective about event attendance, but
still I see that my turn has come some time since to experience the burnout
that some do around this time.

But this is not a note of my departure, oh no.  This is a note of what I
intend to do to frame my involvement in the Society, and more to the point,
how it affects you, my friends.  For I have realized that the difficulties
of a "fringe" persona -- very late period, distant from Europe, almost
undocumented in English, and so on -- is beyond my means of time and
energy.  It has fit little of how I like to dress, or play, or behave.

And so it is time to do something new, I say. Choosing to risk the scoffing
of those who remember that I changed my persona in my first year of play (I
did, I admit it without remorse), I choose to adopt a new one now (not
necessarily discarding the old entirely!) rather than continue the way
things are going.

And so, my friends, I ask you to be patient with me and to think well of me
as I embark on this next leg of my SCA adventure, and let us share a cup
(water for me, thanks) and a story and perhaps a song when next we meet.

Until then, iechyd da!

Rhys ap Teudur
Apprentice to Master Beorthlic the Besieged (by apprentices)
Rapier Marshal of the Shire of Mooneschadowe
Lieutenant of the Plumes
Pursuivant Extraordinaire
(1200ish Cymro, that is to say, Welshman)
(and that's roughly /HREES ahp TIY-dur/ but I know full well you'll say
something like /REES ahp TYOO-dur/ and I won't really mind)
(oh, and spelling liable to change, of course, but hey, that's period)