[NR] Suggestions I got for handleing the period/nonperiod

John Hurst jhurstsca at cableone.net
Wed Sep 13 13:41:39 PDT 2006

Possibly the most important thing I have found is that some people
really don't care.  They do what they the way they do it and are
happy with that.  If its an honest attempt to appear not out of place
at an SCA event, then it harms no one, if it makes THEM happy.  We
should just be happy for them and go on.  Some people are desperate
to be perfect in everything they do, from hand spun wool to who knows
how far, but some just want to be around the atmosphere.   Welcome
them, let them stay, and only judge what they do if they are entering
into a competition.  After all, in period you wouldn't have been
likely to see a fully tricked out Elizabethan lady rubbing shoulders
with a gentleman from Byzantium of the 14th Century, either.  People
who stay around the SCA eventually want to have nicer things, and
when they do they usually begin to ask for advice, so wait it out,
offer advice when asked, and be nice in the meantime.
                   Ewen MacGillepadraigh
                     The not always terribly accurate but usually enthusiastic

At 02:56 PM 9/13/2006, you wrote:

>These are the suggestions people made to me. What do you think and
>what should be added or left off.
>Willow
>

>1. Don't go up to people and start in with the fact that their
>whatever is not period. It is not courteous.
>2. Talk to the person first. Find out if it their first whatever. Find
>out what they are using it for. Did they make it or did they borrow or
>rent it?
>3.Start the conversation with a little positive information. "I found
>an interesting book on Elizabethan costume would you like the name of
>it. It has a really easy way to make ruffs." Share don't preach.
>3.Always start with something positive. Then what you are saying
>sounds like a helpful suggestion not something critique.
>4.Share something you did right and maybe something you did wrong in
>the past.
>5. Give the person information on classes and meetings that might
>provide them with more information on the subject.
>6.Play attention to the individual. Only go on if the person is really
>interested. Don't overwhelm the individual.
>7.Always go on and talk to the person about other things. Do not make
>them feel judged.

Old age and treachery will always defeat mere youth and skill.