[NR] Fwd: [gdh] Military Review

kevinkeary at aol.com kevinkeary at aol.com
Tue Sep 9 05:44:38 PDT 2008

>From Nerak, for those who are interested.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----

Well, I made it through the Air Force Tribute to Starhelm.  Arthur,
Bevin and I drove to Little Rock, and were joined by my Mother and
Brothers who flew down from St. Louis.  We were provided with guest
quarters in 'Apartments' on Base.

The 'Review' is really a semi-formal military ceremony to honor
someone, usually a retiree or someone significant being transferred out
of the unit.  SSGT Boelter's military record was read, and several
members of his unit came forward and told about their memories of
Mike.

I was given a 'funeral' flag neatly folded and in a beautiful
triangular box, which also included a display of all of his rank
insignea from all three services, and all his service ribbons (which
had been determined by a detailed search of his records which Nathan
Perry had taken home with him from Pennsic).

So, far about according to what I had figured.  Now come the
surprises.  Presentation to me of Mike's Air Force Commendation Medal.
Eghads.  And a small triangular folded flag which had been found in his
locker at the unit, and members of the unit remembering him having
overseas on more than one occasion.  That was the "On Behalf of a
Grateful Nation" flag.   I managed not to lose it.

Reception line for handshakes, hugs and viewing of some of Mike's stuff=2
0
I had brought.  His fatigues and patches from Viet Nam were really
outstanding.

Sunday we got up and headed for home.  And Sunday night, I did it to
myself.  His dog-tags had been in his locker at the unit, and I
unclipped the short chain and separated them, intending to put one on
my key chain.   As I walked away it hit me, the ONLY time tags are
separated, is when the wearer has died...

OK, enough.  There have been official services for Mike Boelter, Sir
Starhelm and SGT Boelter, now I can get back to getting on with my
life.  This week-end, Lark and I are off to Coronation, and in November
and December events in near the Gulf Coast where we livec early in our
marriage.

PS  Nathan Perry wants to come back to Pennsic - LOL