[NR] Brewers, Vintners, and Cordielers at Northkeeps wInterkingdom collegium.

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner burgborrendohl at valornet.com
Sun Jan 17 15:56:13 PST 2010

Hello everyone,

This year I'd like to do something different at WinterKingdom in
Northkeep and I'd like the input of all of my Brewing, Vinting, and
Cordialing compatriots.

Every other year or so I (or someone else) does a basics of brewing or
vinting.  What I'd like to do this year is assist the beginner and the
expert in a different way.  Here's my plan:

    _Brewing and Vinting, what're your sources?_
    A discussion and review of sources for BVC.

    Do you have a favorite book, manuscript, etc. you use to document
    your craft?

    Take this opportunity to bring the books you always use and let
    others look through them to decide if they want a copy of their
    own.  Be prepared to discuss why it's a good source.  The books will
    NOT be loaned out.  If you don't want to bring them bring your list
    anyway.

I'm hoping for a little knowledge exchange here.  When I read people's
bibliographies as I'm judging or just reviewing a submission I often
wonder if I ought to invest in a certain book and I'm sure others do as
well.  Here's an opportunity to let others get a look at the body of
your source and help them make a decision as to the worth and
applicability of a particular text to what each of us is doing.

Here's a partial list of what I'm planning on bringing for you to look at:

_Closet of Kenelm Digby, Kt. Opened, The_  Originally published 1677

_Wassail! In Mazers of Mead._  G. Robert Gayre. 1986, Gayre, Gayre & Nigg.

_Wine_  André Domainé,  Könemann Verlagsgesellschaft, Köln, Germany

_Growing Wine Grapes  _The American Wine Society ISBN: 0-9619072-0-7

_University Wine Course_,  Marian Baldy Ph D.  USC Davis dept. of
Oenology and Viticulture

_A Short History of Wine_  Rod Phillips,   Harper Collins, 2000  ISBN:
0-00-621282-0

_Art of Making Wine, The_  Stanly F. Anderson 1970 ISBN: 0-525-48500-7,
Hawthorn/Dutton.

_Ancient Wine -- The search for the origins of Viniculture_  Patrick
McGovern Princeton University Press

_Making Mead._ Bryan Acton & Peter Duncan

_Making Wild Wines and Meads_  Vargas and Gulling,  Storey Books  ISBN:
1-58017-182-6

_Winemaker's Recipe Handbook._  Raymond Massaccesi 1976.

_Winemaking, Recipes, Equipment, and Techniques for making wine at home._

_Winemaking, the Concentrate Method._  Art Lynch 1988, Crosby and Baker
Books.

_Vierka Wine book, The_  Friedrich Sauer, K.G., Stuttgart Germany.

And prints of a 1500's book on the cultivation of multiple plants
including Hops and Grapevines.  - Available as free scans from Alban St.
Albans. (Ted Eisenstein)

Please come, comment, and help your fellow craftsmen,

HE Damon Hroarson, the Baron Borrendöhl