[NR] Northern name--ownership question

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Thu Sep 30 13:12:52 PDT 2010

Yes; prior to about 1985 or so, name registrations were VERY
hand-waved, and sometimes not even noted as separate events on a LoAR
when registered at the same time as a device.  In fact, the last
mention of "region of" that I could find was a return in July 1991:

Avacal, Region of. Device. Quarterly argent and Or, a griffin segreant
maintaining a sword and arrow gules, the sword environed of a laurel
wreath vert.
The name is registered as a herald's title to the kingdom of An Tir.
No paperwork was received for a designator change. While in the past
arms have been registered to the regions of Ansteorra and Calontir, a
number of commentors questioned whether this is a precedent we should
still follow. In a discussion with the Chairman of the Board of
Directors, she recommended against the registration of the names and
armory of regions. Might we suggest that the region send in the
paperwork for a change in status to that of principality?

And that, I suppose, is that.

-Emma