[NR] Northern Digest, Vol 59, Issue 21

barrett1 at cox.net barrett1 at cox.net
Fri Apr 1 08:01:26 PDT 2011

Well, these days the SCA formally uses the phrase "pre-seventeenth century".
In other words, anything up until midnight, December 31st, 1599.
The old 600-1600 AD timeline is gone.

Some sources say European culture, others don't. I'm not sure if the current mission statement of the Society uses the words Europe or European but the SCA has always been welcoming of non-European cultures, even though it is loosely constructed around and inspired by western monarchies.
We have had a healthy smattering of Asian, Middle Eastern and African cultures since the at least the 90's, and I've spotted some American peoples at larger events as well.

This lack of a beginning date is also one reason why Roman soldiers are becoming more common, as well as a number of late Iron age tribes and nations.

~Finnacan