[NR] Northern Digest, Vol 59, Issue 21

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Fri Apr 1 06:50:38 PDT 2011

As far as heraldic name submission goes, the date is still "pre-1600".
I quote from the Rules for Submission, Part I.1 General Principles,
Compatibility:

1. Compatibility. - All names and armory shall be compatible with the
period and domain of the Society.
The Society for Creative Anachronism studies pre-Seventeenth Century
Western Culture. The period of the Society has been defined to extend
until 1600 A. D. Its domain includes Europe and areas that had contact
with Europe during this period. Usages documented to have occurred
regularly prior to that date within that domain shall be automatically
considered compatible unless they have been specifically declared
incompatible by these rules, Laurel precedent, or a policy statement
of the Board of Directors. Usages not so documented may be defined as
compatible by these rules, Laurel precedent, or a policy statement of
the Board of Directors. In all cases, the burden of proving
compatibility shall lie on the individual making the submission or
that individuals duly constituted representatives.

The "1650" comes in for *personal* names, as the so-called "grey area"
-- we consider that documents about any one marrying or dying between
1600 and 1650 mean it's at least possible they were actually born
before 1600, and so we give the benefit of the doubt where possible
and reasonable.

-Emma