[NR] [Northkeep] Thank you to the Laurels and all those that helped mak e LPT a great success!

Shirley Hackworth slhack at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 29 09:37:02 PDT 2011

Greetings,

This was the first Laurels Prize event that I have attended and I'd like to
thank the Laurels and other members of the populace that stopped by to speak
to me and those who answered my questions about their displays.  I was blown
away by the talent that was displayed and there were so many helpful
suggestions made to me about my work that I'm still taking it in.  Although
I'm still processing everything, I've started writing down my impressions
and the suggestion that were made while they're fresh in my mind.

I especially appreciated the comments about documentation.  It is so helpful
to have people read documentation and provide comments, not only because it
improves the written product, but because it takes me down research roads
that I haven't thought to travel.  One comment about internet sources that
was very helpful was to ensure that the link that is referenced points to
the item under discussion, not just to the site where it was found.  Also,
it was suggested to post the date that the link was active.  I was suggested
to contact museum curators about their collections, asking for photographs
and descriptions of items that have not been made available on-line, since
most museum collections are much more vast than the material on display or
on-line.  Although I've read that suggestion in other discussions about
documentation, I hadn't actually followed through with it.  But, this
morning I contacted the Textiles Department of the V&A and have already
received a reply that was very helpful.  One Laurel also noted that she
appreciated that my display was not "perfect," or rather that I was showing
work that was not necessarily my best work.  I did so because I wanted to
show where I had been, where I was going and what I was learning. I was very
happy to receive that comment.  It occurred to me that some people may be
afraid to participate because they don't think they had enough items that
are "perfect."  I found that showing and discussing some of my "mistakes"
generated a lot of terrific discussions about what I could have done
differently, what I might try next, and what other sources of inspiration
were available.  All of the information that I received I will be able to
use to improve my own work and to incorporate into classes that I plan to
teach in the future.

Thank you so much for this terrific experience.

Yours in service,

Lady Cicily Bridges