[NR] back to northern naming: Equitania??

Kevinkeary at aol.com Kevinkeary at aol.com
Tue Feb 8 06:13:19 PST 2011

There are issues with it. Northshield already has the name Polaris Herald
registered. They may be disinclined to either surrender the name or give
permission to conflict (which in this case may not be adequate anyway -- and
could be seen as implying a connection we don't want.)
I found no names registered based on Quivara, Quivira or Cibola. But as a
name that means something in the Real World, there may be issues. I doubt
even  an English branch could register Camelot or Camelliard. On the other
hand, Bois  D'Arc is a real town in south-east central Missouri, AND a branch
of Calontir in  southeast Kansas. So, maybe the other names are sufficiently
obscure, I  dunno.
Amberland, given the history, for good or ill, will remind Southerners of
Simon of Amber Isle. That connection may or may not be desirable, I make no
judgement.
I translated "Open Prairie" and "High Plains" into Mongolian a while back,
not because I thought anyone would go for one of them but to try to get
people  to think outside their boxes. Considering it's one of the noble beasts
that is  not being used by other branches, and was so important to the
cultures we  emulate and the cultures of this area, I suggest something like
"Horselands" or  "Horse Folk", translated into some language where it is easy to
spell and shout  and rhymes well for the bardcrafters.
And I don't know Latin, as the subject demonstrates.
Kevin

In a message dated 2/7/2011 7:49:50 P.M. Central Standard Time,
countesskat at yahoo.com writes:

> Roz  and Finn said:
> One of my favorties is "Polaris" the North  Star...

I can't claim dinosaur status, but I've been around long enough  to be
considered obsolete... ;)

I just wanted to say that, of all the  names I've seen suggested, I really
like this possibility. Polaris as the  North Star (an unchanging celestial
body in the sky, critical to navigation  for many medieval cultures as it was
always there to show the way home) would  provide a compromise on the whole
“north star” issue that even I wouldn’t  object to...

And Latin... hey that works for pretty much most personas  (there are
actually some of us who aren't scandanavian :).

It is clear  and pronounceable on first glance, doesn’t sound like an
inappropriate English  slang word… and you can type it on a standard keyboard
without using any  special macros or symbols. YAY! Plus, from a scribal pov,
all letters are easy  to find in most period calligraphy hands (unlike J, K,
Q, X, etc and letters  unique to other languages).

I really hope they add this name to the  “official” list of suggestions.
It might even motivate me to vote.

~  Kat M.

Northern mailing  list
Northern at lists.ansteorra.org