[NR] Proposed Northern Regional Names

Talbot the Mad talbotthemad at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 08:32:02 PST 2011

Well said, Don Timothy!
It is, in fact, still done in modern times as well. You will meet folks from
Northern Ireland who will proudly identify themselves as Ulstermen, and
Heaven forfend you should mistake it! And what of the five Burroughs of New
York? Each a part of the whole, but possesing of their own distinct
mannerisms, and even, to some extent, cultures. I could tell you that
someone is from Manhatten, or the Bronx, and you would know they were from
New York, but also that they were from a distinct area, within the City.
This was done in period, with the five burroughs of the Danelaw, Derby,
Leicester, Lincoln, Nottingham and Stamford. Once again, roughly
geographically grouped, but distinct entities.
I concur that I would prefer not to have Nord- as part of the name, but
having read over some of the submitted proposals, I find some that I do, in
fact, prefer over others. And that is what tese discussions are for:
discussion.
~B. Talbot