[NR] Northern Digest, Vol 58, Issue 4

Doug Copley doug.copley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 09:57:58 PST 2011

If we are discussing feelings getting hurt, what about the feelings of
those that would like to have what they consider to be a more period
name than the North. By telling them they are not allowed to discuss it
because they might hurt someone's feelings is a slap in their face and
hurts their feelings.

No matter what is done, a new name for the North or no new name for the
North, someone someone somewhere is going to get their feelings hurt.

When choosing a name, someone somewhere is going to get their feelings
hurt because the name they wanted or the name they submitted is not the
one chosen.

There is no way to avoid the possibility of hurting someone's feelings.

We can help to minimize that possibility by discussing it openly and
give everyone an opportunity to voice their concerns.

Rather than saying that "someone" might, possibly, perhaps, maybe, get
their feelings hurt I would like to have someone step forward and say
"I" don't like it and here is why!

Let's treat this as an adult conversation and realize that everyone is
entitled to their opinion but that there is a possibility that no matter
what is done "someone" will feel slighted or hurt.

"I" am in favor of a new name than the North. We are not the same as we
were a few years ago, we have new "cousins" and I think we should
acknowledge that and work at being more inclusive. I also like the idea
of being more period and having a distinctive name for us.

Vincenti da Murano