[NR] A Heralds response.

Eric Abbott eja_us at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 1 14:29:43 PDT 2011

 I would like to see the heralds debate names like Hrithmarc (Tempest Land) and
Cyrmoden
 (Noisy Court).

I have only lived in my Barony of Eldern Hills for the last 2 years and have not
been extremely active since I arrival in Ansteorra.  I have been in the SCA
since 1977 , I lived in Bryn Gwlad in the earlier years of my time.I am not the
local herald but have been a herald since I joined the SCA.  To answer on the
above..

Cyrmoden- Cyrm, pronounced Kirm, meaning "A clamor, noise" and Oden, meaning "a
court

or chamber, floor space, an indoor area." The Court of Noise -
         Not sure I like the meaning of this. Not sure the Laurel's office will
either. It simply is not a good naming practice.

Hastmark- means horse lands in Swedish
        good meaning... not a bad name

Hríthmarc-Means Tempest Land in Old English =====  I can not find the word Hrith
anywhere. in Old English, Old Norse, etc... It is found as a name of a person,
but not as a translation of the word "tempest"  the word Hriþ means
snowstorm.hríð is a storm tempest. I am not familar with the transliteration as
well as others with Old English or Old Norse. hríð may be Hrith but Hríðmearc
might be a better spelling.

       not bad.. like others better

Quivara-Historical (possibly from the Arabic for "Great") name for the region
including Eastern New Mexico through the Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma and
Kansas.
        This name will probably be a go as a small group tried a variation of
this 20 years ago. It is a Mythical place described by the Spanish explorers. It
is considered to be a unique name.

Norðþunor- Like this alot.. good name and one to be proud of. It works as an old
English word.

Norchester-middle english
Northern Fortification
         This would work. not too exciting ( personal opinion)

This is with just a short time I had to research. I have entered this late. I
also might ask if arms are being designed? Any ideas for such? It is an exciting
thing to be in a location that is moving up. If you have other questions please
respond. I will be away from the computer till monday. I will gladly help with
any research I can.

Yours in Service,
HL Salvador Paolo de Barcelona