[NR] Names

Ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Mon Jun 6 10:14:06 PDT 2011

greetings

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to kill anything .
when I was a child there was a story about the kings wonderful new clothes ,
in which everyone was afraid to state the obvious, except one person.
like that one person , all I want is for people to actually " think " .
about the names they put forth and agree to , about how others will wind up
pronouncing those names,etc. this isn't like naming someone's child some
obnoxious name , then using a nickname for them until they change it as an
adult. ( never mind the torture they live through at school, etc. )
this isn't like a place holder name , to be used until  or  if we ever
become a principality , this is for all intents and purposes the name we
will be known as for the rest of our lives.
this is also a name that will create an image, is that image representative
of all or even most of the northern region ?? or is it representative of
only 1 or 2 groups ??
(  keep,storm,thunder, moon, red,hills, north,flaming, etc ) , is it a name
that embodies our attitudes , our strengths , our way of doing things , or
even our dreams , the things we would like to become ??
by its very nature , the name that is chosen will shape the group we are as
well as the group we are to become.
these are just the first steps in what is always a long path , and while it
takes time and energy to find an agreeable name or name concept, you will
then still need to see if the heralds will pass it or something similar, or
reject it outright.
but anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time . because it
takes more time, energy , and patience to go back and fix something than it
does to do it right.

someone suggested that perhaps people could submit name concepts instead of
names in a particular dialect , then the heralds could return possible names
that stand a decent chance of passing , in different dialects.
are we perhaps a " stout hearted people " an " honorable land " a " self
sufficient people " or to give equal time , are we really the " midden heap
lands "  or " the burning lands
or the " commode region of ansteorra "  these are all things people should
be looking at.
( just to point out, names that start out sounding bad or like something
else require absolutely no bad intent , creativity, or time to make them
sound bad , or like something else , etc..... but the name chosen will be
put out for all to use , those that love us, those that hate us, as well as
those that couldn't care less what we are called .
so closing our eyes and hoping no one else will see  the gorilla in pink
panties and bra,  strip dancing in the middle of the room is kind of
pointless.   )
this is serious, not some game to be redone over and again , not some
private joke.

but if I'm slowing down the process by posting the obvious, I will do my
best to refrain from posting on this subject in the future.

Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
Arthur