[NR] NORTHERN REGIONAL NAMING POLL

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Mon Jun 27 20:34:21 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Cameron Lewis <okrabbit at cox.net> wrote:
> So it has been 3 weeks and folks stopped talking about names.  If you have
> any information from heraldic type folks on why any of these names would not
> pass now is the time for them to be taken off the list.[...]

I threw several of the 'top names' at a heraldic name expert I know
(myself being FAR from one), and she only commented back on the
"definite possibilities" as she's away from her good library at the
moment. Which turned out to be a fairly small list.

> Also if anyone has any new suggestions PLEASE LET US KNOW.  None of this is
> permanent until the Kingdom has it registered so we can STILL WRITE IN
> NAMES.  There will also be a space for write in names on the polling.

This is where I insert my plea for someone to go find a book in your
favorite medieval language on place-names, and see how such names were
actually constructed, what patterns and actual examples and whatnot.
In other words, do the documentation first, THEN the A&S project.
Doing it the other way around is *much harder*.

> Norchester

This is a fantastic name. As is Morland and Reodweald (or whatever it
was similar to that, I don't have the original list to hand).  The
rest are in varying states of far-less-doable ranging from "maybe,
will need more expert stunt doc work" to "uh, no".  I'm sorry I can't
get more specific at this precise moment, as I'm out of state (and in
fact on an airplane as I type this), but I did want to get that out
there.

-Emma
(just a random herald, really)