NK - A & S Question -Reply

Beth Sanborn elisabeta34 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 9 16:55:34 PST 1998

According to the reading I've done, the Scandanavians (include Iceland
and the Danelaw) used fabrics dyed red, yellow, blue and green, as well
as a variety of natural-wool colors, including a Danish blue wool caused
by the lichens the sheep ate.  How bright the colors were would depend
on how many times they were put in the dye bath, as well as the relative
strength of the bath used (or, let's be real honest here, on how wealthy
the person was and much dye was therefore affordable).

Needless-to-say, I have only begun to scratch the surface of this topic,
but I DO have some sources, which I'd be happy to share.  Debroah or
Ismet may have aditional information, but I don't think they're online.

Elisabeta

Elisabeta