NK - Question

I. Marc Carlson LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu
Thu Dec 10 06:16:45 PST 1998

<Andrea Bain <the_green_eyed_cat at yahoo.com>>
>I have a question for whoever wants to answer it. I'm looking for a
>good source for examples of women's clothing from Ireland and Scotland
>in the early 1500. Lots out there for men, but i'm having a bit of a
>time finding a source for ladies.

I assume you've looked at McClintock, but if not:
McClintock, Henry Foster.   Old Irish & Highland dress and that of the Isle
of Man. With chapters on pre-Norman dress as described in early Irish
literature by F. Shaw, and on early tartans by J. Telfer Dunbar.  2d and enl.
ed.  Dundalk [Ire.] : Dundalgan Press, 1950.

TCCL has a copy at the downtown library.

>Also, with what would a lady accessorize? Would they have ca:rried a
>knife and pouch, and would they have worn a belt to carry things on?

I'd have to check, but I don't think so.  Perhaps a knife or a belt, but why
they need a pouch?

>Did women ever wear pants at that time? If so, what did they wear?
>Hubby's pants or some tailored for her?

Did they?  Maybe, maybe not.  Were they supposed to?  No, it was not only
illegal, but a sin.

Marc/Diarmaid