NK - Yes Berengaria, I can document Santa Klaus!

LUEHRSRM at centum.utulsa.edu LUEHRSRM at centum.utulsa.edu
Tue Dec 8 11:22:33 PST 1998

> You know, most people can look up their own questions as well.  Should I
> insult everyone else by asking stupid people questions?  "Where is France?"
> "Why did they stop using chainmail and go to plate, 'cause chain looks more
> cook?"
>
> I don't think so.

Well, I just asked my work study if she knew where France was and she
didn't.  COurse she also things Alaska and Hawaii are in the Gulf of Mexico
because that's where the atlat puts them when showing an entire map of
the United States.

As someone who has had teaching experiences of all sorts and shapes in the
last few years, never assume that questions are stupid merely because they
seem obvious to you.  I can certainly understand from an academic standpoint
that some information (such as where is France) should be taken as common
knowledge and one should go from there.  However, putting more difficult
questions into a basic framework and then expanding should not be perceived
as simplyfying or dumbing down an answer.

And I would also take issue with the "most people can look up their own
questions as well."  It comes back to not caring to or wanting to or, more
importantly, not knowing where to look.  Research is second nature to many
of us but not most.  Ask thoswe tough questions regarding thread counts and
be amazed that there are others out there who do have an interest.  It
may start as trivia but it could blossom into an actual research project.

Whew.

Can't tell I've started researching that diss, can you? :-)

Rowan
(who is pondering a true tough question fro Berengaria...just wait and see!)