NK - Yes Berengaria, I can document Santa Klaus!

I. Marc Carlson LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu
Tue Dec 8 13:38:51 PST 1998

<"harriet meeker" <berengaria at hotmail.com>>
>I have to ask, since I don't spend much time in your company, how often
>do the "Educated" actually rub people's noses in the fact?
>I mean, I know that Tadhg does it on the Rialto, but my impression is
>that he's a pretty unusual extreme case.  Does it happen a lot? Is it
>just a perception?  What?

I don't think it really matters, does it?  If it's just a perception to
someone that, for example, *I* am an educated snot, and am always trying
to lord it over everyone else, then it don't matter jack *what* I say or
do.  People will hear what they want to hear.  Let me give you an example:
several years ago I tried to put forward a demo-guild idea in the group.
What I'm told people *heard* me say (that I was trying to shove my own
standards of authenticity down people's throats, that I was pushy and power
hungry, and whatever), to ME had nothing to do with what I was in fact saying.
The fact that I try to do things as authentically for myself colored the
perception of what I was trying to do.  The fact that don't really care
how other people do things (in the SCA, at least) was obviously overshadowed
by the fact that I'm pushy and obnoxious.

>I really can't say why I've tried to not use them.  Maybe it is some
>sort of subtle education-ism.  Maybe I was just trying to give the
>others a chance to play too since you can be a little overwhelming.

So you say.  I personally don't see myself that way -- but there's that
perception thing again.

Marc/Diarmaid