NK - Free Time

marc-carlson at utulsa.edu marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Fri Aug 6 08:54:07 PDT 1999

Quoting \"Addington, Debbie, A\"
<daaddington at saintfrancis.com>:

> the only subject in math, during my high school years,
that i couldn\'t
> comprehend, the metric system.  I did learn that you
get more fabric by the
> metric yard and more mead to the liter.  :)

I don\'t see why schools make it so hard.  It\'s not like
the average person actually thinks in units larger than
feet and such anyway.  Most people seem to just
estimate, and when they need precision they read it off
a machine that measures it for them.  Just remember that
there are about three feet to a meter, about a kilometer
and a half to a mile, two and a half centimeters to an
inch, two pounds to the kilogram, and so on. 0\'s
freezing while 37 and above means you have a fever, or
it\'s really hot out.  For anything more precise than
that, use a ruler/scale/calculator.

The important thing to remember is a 9 mm is only about
.35 caliber, but usually has a bigger punch to it.

As for how this relates to the Middle Ages, I doubt
anyone wants to hear about that.  Just try thinking in
English fingers (as opposed to American fingers), palms,
hands, spans, and cubits...

Marc/Diarmaid