NK - Doherty books

Miriam Cook miriz at rocketmail.com
Thu Aug 19 14:53:34 PDT 1999

Last year (and I think the year before too) PBS aired a
series of Midieval mysteries called "Cadfael."  I thought
they were really good. Unfortunatly I did not have a
functional VCR at the time a could not record them.  They
are apperently for sale however...

Cadfael
   The Leper of St. Giles
   Monk's Hood
   One Corpse Too Many
   The Sanctuary Sparrow
   St. Peter's Fair
   The Virgin in Ice
   The Devil's Novice
WGBH Boston Video (800)255-9424

--Zahava (who wishes she had the money to call up and say.
"I'd like the whole series, please.")

---Jennifer Carlson <JCarlson at firstchurchtulsa.org> wrote:

> I love Doherty's books.  "Spy In Chancery" is excellent,
as is "Prince of
> Darkness."  His works are hard to find, though.  Most
bookstores in town
> don't stock his titles.
>
> There are several mystery writers who set their stories
in the middle ages
> and renaissance.  If you'd like some recommendations,
let me know.  In the
> meantime, enjoy the Doherty!
>
> Talana
> Devotee of Brother Cadfael, Sister Frevisse, Falconer,
The Queen's Head
> Players, etc.

put off for WAY to
> long. I ran across some books in the Mystery section by
P.C. Doherty. They
> are apparently a series of mystery novels based roughly
in the 13th
> Century.
> The jacket say that the author holds a doctorate from
Oxford in History and
> specializes in Medieval studies. We got "Spy in
Chancery". Some of the
> other
> titles are "Death of a King", "Satan in St. Mary's",
"The Crown in
> Darkness", "The Whyte Harte", and "The Evil Within:A
Knights Pilgrimage".
> Has anyone read any of these? I was hoping that they
might be good for
> Stonie and perhaps Christopher (iffy for him) to read,
especially if the
> settings for the stories are fairly historically accurate.
>
>  We also picked up "What Life Was Like in the Age of
Chivalry" that has a
> ton of pictures and looks like good info from scanning
it. (Christopher has
> already been pouring through this one!) I went ahead and
got "Kings,
> Queens,
> Knights and Jesters: Making Medieval Costumes" as well.
It says that it has
> unstructions for three basic clothing styles and
pictures from tapestrys,
> etc to show how certain things were worn.
>
>  I would love to hear comments and suggestions about any
of these