NK - ?feast steward?

Miriam Cook miriz at rocketmail.com
Tue Aug 10 13:21:50 PDT 1999

Here is a Porridge recipie that I have tried and really
like a lot!! (**whimper** SOME porridge is good....
--Zahahva

Danish Rice Porridge

This dish is traditionally associated with christmas, but
is eaten all through the winter. It is considered too
heavy for a summer
dish. The association with christmas comes from the old
days when peasants at christmas would put a bowl of rice
porridge in
the attic to appease the mythical "nisse."

You need:

     3 cups of milk (skim or regular)
     1 cup of pearl rice.
     1/2 tsp salt (optional)
     sugar and cinnamon mixed together (some supermakets
have it in their spice section)
     butter

Pearl rice is short and plumb compared to regular long
rice. Long rice will not work well in this dish, as they
cannot soak up as
much moisture.

Use a thick bottomed pot, if you have one. Rub a stick of
butter against the bottom, which will prevent the rice
from sticking to
it.

Pour the milk in and bring it to a slow boil. Pour the
rice in, while stirring, and turn the heat down. Cover and
let simmer for
about 50 minutes. Add salt if desired.

Serve on plates. On each serving, place a small piece of
butter in the center of the porridge and sprinkle some of
the
sugar-and-cinnamon on top.

Receipe serves 1-2 people.

---"Addington, Debbie, A" <daaddington at saintfrancis.com>
wrote:

> I have tried two different recipes for that stuff, jerky
tasted real good
> after that.  I tried to make it better by adding
raisins, prunes, apples and
> cinnamon.  nothing worked.  I suppose during the winter
season, a viking
> would anything if they are hungrey enough.  8 )
> thanks again,
> Maidenhair

a feast.  The
> > Barony
> > pays for up to $500 to cover the food and supply
costs.  Most feasts run
> > under budget so that amount is usually enough.
> >
> > And yes, you have the personas basically correct.  I,
myself, like period
> > feasts though I know there are those out there who
don't.  To me, it makes
> > sense to keep the foods within the 600-1600 timeframe
since everything
> > else
> > is more or less supposed to be.
> >
> > (Quite frankly, period or not, porridge is vile
stuff....)

> > Rowan
> >
> > At 12:17 PM 8/10/1999 -0500, you wrote:
> > >Okay.  For a bit I was getting worried.  I have
cooked for 250 at the
> > >holiday season, before my mom passed on.  I was
remembering the
> > Ansteorran
> > >20th year w/ 1000 places for feast and I was thinking
 HELP.  :)
> > >A hundred to a hundred fifty.  I guess I better start
stocking my pantry?
> > >Their Excellencies are Viking personas, yes?
> > >Do they usually prefer a feast that is geared more to
their personas?
> > >Pork, Plums and mead? I don't do that porridge stuff,
  yuk!