NK - Toy Tourney

Hugh Niewoehner hughn at ssd.fsi.com
Fri Jul 2 07:47:23 PDT 1999

Dairmaid,
I'll agree with you that perception is a major part of the problem.
For example those who claimed SCA funds were used to buy the toys.  Did
anyone counter with the fact that, IIRC, the largest contributor from
our group used the proceeds from a tavern they ran to raise the funding?

> The result of this is that some people in other groups -are- resentful and
> pissed
> off, and the net result is that fewer people are willing to participate,
> and the
> kids wind up getting fewer toys.
But that's just as bad a malfunction on the part of those who stay
away.  "You don't play fair so I'll just take my toys and go home."
The end result is less fun for everyone.  Fun reducers = BAD, Fun
enhancers = GOOD.

> The changes have the possibility of correcting these (mis)perceptions by
> keeping
> things on a more fair basis overall.
I don't know that it's MORE fair.  It still prevents those who cannot
afford the toys from participating.  AND, there is nothing to prevent a
group from forming a pool of toys, and then asking everybody who's going
how many they'll need to enter into all the things they want to do.  The
thing is...  People who want to win will find a way to do so.  And those
who try to legislate a group out only generate more resentment rather
than fixing it.

> If the truly important to the Barony that the kids get their toys, there's
> no reason
> we can't make a separate, anonymous donation of as many toys as we can fit
> into a
> warehouse.  That way the kids get the toys, and we don't show up our
> neighbors by
> behaving inappropriately.
There's no reason it should be anonymous.  My understanding was that the
donations went to a local organization.  If NK populous want to donate
in the name of the Barony that's fine.  And the Barony should get the
recognition as a contributing neighborhood organization.  It lets the
public know that this is an involved civic group.  And, this has no
effect on our standing with our _SCA_ neighbors.   What they are
grousing about is the _SCA_ display of such involvement.

Finally, people will believe what they want of each of us regardless of
reality.  There are those who live to find fault with others.   Don't
let someone else dictate your ability to enjoy yourself.

	Damon