NK - Shrink It plastic...or now for something completely different

Nathan W. Jones njones at ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 2 20:41:06 PST 1999

At 03:47 PM 3/2/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Strange question....
>
>Does anyone know where to get Shrink-It plastic in tulsa?  (It's the stuff
>from which Shrinky Dinks were made when those of us who are about 30 were
>kids).
>
>I called Hobby Lobby out on Harvard and the lady I spoke with nose snorted
>a laugh at me and said no.  Sigh.

Huh, I wonder why she laughed.  A friend of mine down in (you
guessed it) Bjornsborg has done some amazing faux scrimshaw
using that Shrinky Dink plastic.  There are even several
award regalia floating around made from the stuff.

Gio.

p.s.  If your curious, she uses a sharpie to get the design,
bakes it, and while it is still warm she molds it to a somewhat
organic shape.  Then she will put an acrylic wash on it of
some sort and a clear lacquer.    they tend to turn out, depending
on the wash and edge treatments, like bone, horn or antler.
I have one around here somewhere, although it's not her best.