NK - Fwd: Life in the 1500s - interesting (fwd)

Nathan W. Jones njones at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 6 09:59:37 PDT 1999

Greetings Friends!

Marc/Dairmaid wrote:
>The problem is that "The Middle Ages" isn't one time or place where we
>can say "they did it this way".  It might be more interesting if people were
>to look at these sorts of things and actually look and see if they are valid
>for their own personas (of course, that's why I teach that medieval mindset
>class :) )

*gasp* Say it isn't so!  *grin*

I will confess that broad sweeping generalities with absolutly
no documentation or sources listed tend to make me twitch when
they are presented as "fact".  I would hope that we would do
the bare bones investigative research to find out if such a thing
is pretty much true, or just a load of BS.  A vain hope perhaps,
but a hope none the less.

The Middle Ages was far from a unifrom phenomenon thoughout
Europe.  The culture and living conditions in 1250 Italy were
radically different from 1250 Norway, England, or the Arabic
countries.  It is up to us as individuals in the SCA to figure
out the specifics, and to raise the level of general understanding
in the SCA about what "everyone knows."

Gio
Northkeep
Ansteorra