NK - Trekkies v. SCA

Bethor2000 at aol.com Bethor2000 at aol.com
Sat May 29 12:22:16 PDT 1999

In a message dated 5/28/99 2:46:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
merle at webzone.net writes:

<< How does this relate to the SCA? You will notice similarities
 in the behavior of and reactions to trekkies or trekkers and
 the behavior of and reactions to SCAers or SCAdians.

I thought the movie was hilarious!  My favorite was the freak ass Spiner-fem
chick who was about a micrometer away from full blown stalker hood.
But to answer your question about the similarity to the SCA:  Star Trek is at
least enertaining, its fans have a subject matter to focus on, and relate to
with anyone who's ever seen Star Trek.  Whereas the hard core sca freaks just
come in varying flavors of "personal myth obsession."  If they aren't boring
you to tears with "D" class moon june elementary poetry attempts, then you
have to tolerate their lack of personal hygiene. Who would pay to watch a
bunch of people relating their favorite "once upon a time in sca-land"
stories?  The trekkies even have more continuity in their subject matter than
the sca.  I can't tell you how many times I've gritted my teeth listening to
someone's concept of history, yeesh, god forbid someone should actually
bother to read a little history (Gold Key comics, Conan/Highlander, and torn
bodice romances don't count) before going out to demos and "educating" the
public.  This isn't to say there are no talented and intelligent people in
the sca, there's plenty of them, but unfortunately the market share for a
film about them is not on the radar.

Well, I gotta go buy my ticket to the Star Trek Con (6/26-27) and Star Wars
(4th time, woo hoo!)

Alton