NK - Trekkies v. SCA

Christopher Merle merle at webzone.net
Sun May 30 04:40:42 PDT 1999

Alton wrote:
>In a message dated 5/28/99 2:46:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
>merle at webzone.net writes:
>
><< How does this relate to the SCA? You will notice similarities
> in the behavior of and reactions to trekkies or trekkers and
> the behavior of and reactions to SCAers or SCAdians.

I hate to waste bandwidth, but this is such a good rant I don't want to
edit it.

>I thought the movie was hilarious!  My favorite was the freak ass Spiner-fem
>chick who was about a micrometer away from full blown stalker hood.
>But to answer your question about the similarity to the SCA:  Star Trek is at
>least enertaining, its fans have a subject matter to focus on, and relate to
>with anyone who's ever seen Star Trek.  Whereas the hard core sca freaks just
>come in varying flavors of "personal myth obsession."  If they aren't boring
>you to tears with "D" class moon june elementary poetry attempts, then you
>have to tolerate their lack of personal hygiene. Who would pay to watch a
>bunch of people relating their favorite "once upon a time in sca-land"
>stories?  The trekkies even have more continuity in their subject matter than
>the sca.  I can't tell you how many times I've gritted my teeth listening to
>someone's concept of history, yeesh, god forbid someone should actually
>bother to read a little history (Gold Key comics, Conan/Highlander, and torn
>bodice romances don't count) before going out to demos and "educating" the
>public.  This isn't to say there are no talented and intelligent people in
>the sca, there's plenty of them, but unfortunately the market share for a
>film about them is not on the radar.

As a whole the SCA does fail in it's authenticity. I've often said we
started out as medieval theme party and it's been that way ever since. I've
seen individuals do excellent work. We aren't reenactors and if you think
we are go look at the US Civil War re-enactors.

So I think Alton is saying that SCA has some historically impaired
neo-pagans. I enjoy the SCA in spite of it's shortcomings. I have lots of
friends and I enjoy many of the activities.

The SCA grew out of science fiction and fantasy fandom. We take our
inspiration for Lord of the Rings, Morte de Arthur, Robin Hood. We go to
medieval and fantasy movies to look at the costumes and the fight scenes.
But back to Trekkies. The scene where the Klingons order food at McDonalds
is identical in the employees reaction to SCAers in garb ordering food at
McDonalds. These Klingons even do community service.

Kostia

Christopher Merle		| "When in danger, or in doubt,
merle at webzone.net		|  run in circles, scream and shout."
http://www.webzone.net/merle	|			--Lazarus Long