NK - NK e-mail viruses

Merrik Viltar Har Marrock at msn.com
Sun Sep 19 18:35:53 PDT 1999

Robert Fitzmorgan penned:
how about a mailing that get's sent to everyone when they first join the
list informing them that virus warnings, and any messages that say to send
them to all your friends, shouldn't be sent to the list?
Robert

	We could mail it, but 'most' people never read the instructions...
especially those who repeatedly jump on the various urban ledged
bandwagons...
	And it has happened, a virus or email macro virus warning has been
legitimate. It has been my experience however, that the GOOD information
comes from various ISPs, software authors (specifically the authors of virus
protection schemes), and various computer specific news organizations, and
that this type of GOOD information is seldom disseminated via email, i.e.
"send to everyone in your mailbox" (which is an EXCELLENT way to get a virus
spread as quickly as possible).
	So what do we do, ignore all warnings and get caught, or put up with a
cyclic process of sharing our knowledge about cyberspace with new
acquaintances.  Having so far become aware of BEFORE activation, 100% of all
viral attack upon my systems, I prefer to hedge my bets, and err on the side
of delete key, delete key, delete key, if you catch my drift.  None the
less, I will amend the automatic email that is sent to every new subscriber
to suggest that they check information before posting any type of warning to
our list. Because the best advice I have seen is to put a few virus and
urban ledged url links into your favorites and check your information before
becoming a proverbial Chicken Little.
	It seems everything that has been posted regarding viruses has been posted
with the best of intentions, and no one has made it their daily duty to be
Chicken Little (although a well fried drum stick sounds really good right
now), so no foul, no harm, or is it no harm, no Chicken Little.

Merrik