NK - Bardic At Moonschadowe Guardian (long)

Scott Fridenberg scottf at webzone.net
Sun Sep 19 19:51:17 PDT 1999

    Catrin wrote many nice things about the Bardic at Guardian.  I just want
to add that she's not exaggerating.  They really were as wonderful as she
said.

    Mst. Catrin, may I forward your message to the Ansteorran and Northern
Regional lists?

    Anawyn Bardolphe was wonderful.  The story she told was good but the song
just took my breath away.  It was one of the finest bardic performances I've
ever seen.  It was a very long and complicated piece, which is usually a bad
idea,  but this kept me mesmerized throughout.  Anawyn was the winner of the
bardic challenge and the Amber.
    As good as Anawyn was though it was not an easy decision.  Seigneur
Etienne was nearly as good. I've always felt that storytelling is the most
difficult of the bardic arts to master.  Etienne is a natural storyteller.  I
told him this years ago we he told his first story at a revel.  The story it's
self wasn't much but his delivery was terrific.  Well the stories have gotten
better and so has his delivery.  He tells a story with such sincerity that he
sells it completely.   He has a wonderful sense of comic timing.  I only wish
I could have picked two winners.
    Mst. Talana is no mean storyteller herself, but it was the poem where she
really shone.  She wrote a poem using Norse alliterative verse, recounting the
great Northkeep Drape and Pillage.  (An event which has produced at least 5
bardic works so far.)  The poem was funny, stirring and rousing.  The delivery
was perfect.  Well Done!
    Katerena de Bartolo, (Kitty) was a real surprise.  She entered the
Minstrel of Mooneschadowe competition and we had no hesitation in naming her
as one of the finalists.  As Mst. Catrin said she was even better in the
Novice Bards competition.  She did her own poem commemorating the Great Drape
and Pillage.  It was a well written poem and she has such a charming stage
presence.  She also did an improvisational piece in praise of Northkeep.  The
material was a bit lacking in polish but it wa s delivered with attitude and a
natural comic timing.  It was very entertaining, and she is a very fun
performer to watch.
    Lilian of Mooneschadowe entered.  This was her first event.  She sang us a
song accompanied on the harp.  She had only been playing the harp a few weeks
but you would never have guessed it from her performance.  She has a very
pretty voice and played the song very well.  Her second piece was a story.  A
Russian folk tale of Alyosha Popovich and the Dragon.  She told the tale with
a commanding stage presence, with energy and conviction.  She has a very
expressive face and looks very natural in front of an audience.
    Meadhbh inshean Rois from the Wastelands sang a song for us that was well
done, then she told us the story of the Sidh and the Bairn.  The story of a
mother who has had her child stolen by the Fairy folk ahd what she does to get
it back.  She made effective use of props, including her child,  though I'm
not sure Ainar makes a convincing fairy.   It was a nice story very well told.

    Lilias Clan Gryphonsbane from mooneschadowe sang the Riddle Song for us.
She has a very lovely voice and sang it well.  Then she did a poem she wrote
herself called Lord Jan's Boast.  A good poem well delivered.  Another new
bard that looks more comfortable on stage than some of our veteran bards.
    Many of you know Dirgelin d'Aubigny as the mother of the young bard
Anthony of Northkeep.  She showed us that she is a talented performer in her
own right.  Doing a lovely song for us, and singing it very well.  Then
performing a short poem for us and again doing it very well.
    Madinhair of Northkeep did a piece she wrote herself called Loki's Legacy
telling the stories of Loki's children.  It was very entertaining.  Her son
Baulsac perpetrated a truly bad pun on us, and did so proudly and with style.
This was their first event.
    Wilhelm der Wulf sang two old Mikal the Ram songs for us.  I enjoyed them
both and look forward to seeing Wilhelm around the fire.
    Eleanor Fitzgerald then told us two old Mikal the Ram stories, which I
also enjoyed.
    Jasmine Ingridsdottir sang us a song.  She has a very pretty voice and
sings with feeling.

    The quality of the competition far surpassed my expectations.   These new
bards will raise the caliber of any competition they enter.    I was
particulary impressed with the quality of storytelling.  I really wasn't
expecting many storytellers, and certinly wasn't expecting many GOOD
storytellers.  I hope to hear from these bards again.  ansteorra has always
been known for it's bards, it's only going to get better.

    The Minstral of Mooneschadowe competition was impressive as well.  Seven
people entered, Four of whom I'd never heard before.  All were entertaining.
The three Finalist were:

Lord Ivo Blackhawk
Katerena De Bartolo
Lady Toinette de Cambrai

Ivo entered his first bardic competition at last years Mooneschadowe Guardian
and won Best Story.  He won Best Story again this year.  Find him at an event
and get him to tell you a story, you won't have to twist his arm much, and you
won't regret it.

Katerena did a poem she wrote herself and played a period dance tune on the
penny whistle.  She did both very well.  she sang us a song in the final
round.  She was chosen Best Poem.  This was her first event.

Lady Toinette Sang us a lovely song.  She has a very nice singing voice and a
very dignified and elegent stage presence.  She played two tunes for us on the
flute.  She was chosen as Best Song,  Best Instramental, and is the new
Minstral of Mooneschadowe.   Both lady Toinette and the shire of Mooneschadowe
seemed very pleased with this.

Robert Fitzmorgan
Barony of Northkeep
Northern Regional Bard