NK - RE: New Bard Competition

Jennifer Carlson JCarlson at firstchurchtulsa.org
Mon Sep 20 07:42:07 PDT 1999

Allow me to make a clarification here.  I did not lie about my voice -

It is my SINGING voice that you can use to grind steel.  My dear mother,
Lord love her, is monotone and tone deaf.  My brothers and I used to jockey
for position in the pew at church to avoid having to sit next to her - she
loves singing hymns.  And bless, her, she knows her singing voice is
terrible, and, being confident enough to laugh at herself, makes light of
it.

God, in His infinite wisdom, and to prove that he has a sense of humor,
gave me a portion of her singing voice.  I can do all right if I'm in a
sizeable chorus, but I'm terrible as a soloist.  My brothers both have
beautiful singing voices.  Maybe it's some sort of quirky sex-linked trait
in our family.

My thanks to Catrin and Robert for their compliments and the largesse.  I
had a lot of fun.  I've been in the SCA for going on 19 years now, but
never felt up to competing before.  The New Bard format was a friendly
venue to wet my toes in.

The fabric raid was just too much fun.  I was sitting at my desk last week,
waiting on hold for the technical support guy to acknowledge my existence,
and reading Valstarr's poem (which I enjoyed greatly), when it dawned on me
that there were fourteen of us, and Beowulf had fourteen companions.  I
heard a slight clicking sound in my head as the safety on my English degree
was taken off, and the next thing I knew, I was scribbling like mad.

Talana
Never too old to learn something new