NK - question for Robert on bardic

Tony And Catherine Lackey catan at webzone.net
Wed Sep 8 21:38:32 PDT 1999

Addington, Debbie, A wrote:

> I am composing a story or sonnet, something for the Moonshadowe newcomers
> bardic competition.
>
> My question is:
> Do I have to be able to recite this thing with out looking at it?  I have a
> very short memory and though I do not expect to make a really lengthy story,
> I could get lost in the telling.
> Your help is greatly appreciated on this subject.
>
> Maidenhair

	You asked Robert, but I don't have any trouble butting in.  The
issue of whether or not to have notes is a subjective one with judges,
but I for one do not feel that having notes while performing is wrong.
The thing, however, is not to be tied to the text and make frequent eye
contact with the audience (not just the judges!) and seem to be in
command of your material.  I must confess I have always in the past
performed in competition solely from memory, partly due to awareness
that some judges do have a problem with non-memorization, and partly as
a personal challenge to myself to perform "without a net".  I usually
performed in bardic projects, though, with text.
	If you do decide to use notes, I would recommend placing them inside an
attractive book cover.  You can make one yourself out of two
pieces of wood, about 10" X 14" or so.  Drill four holes in one of the
long sides on each piece.  You can paint the wood or stain it or paint
pretty designs on it.  Line up the sides with the holes and run cord
through the holes, not too tightly, and voila'!  You have a nice looking
note holder.  The notes can be scotch taped so they don't fall out the
inside.  Or use a prop, a fan for example.  Your notes can be written
on a 3"x 5" index cards (for a story, the major plot points should be
enough) and keep that side of the fan towards you.  Sometimes just
knowing the notes are there are enough to reassure and give you
confidence.  Rehearse, rehearse and don't forget that eye contact!

					Catrin
					Who'd love to see lots of new
					bards performing in Robert's
					competition