NK - Pillaging Prose

Scott Fridenberg scottf at webzone.net
Wed Sep 15 21:34:38 PDT 1999

Susan O'Neal wrote:

> >Speaking as a historian, I certainly can't imagine that multiple
> >descriptions of an event of such magnitude would be a Bad Thing.
> >Bardic stuff isn't a competative sport normally, is it?
> >
> >Marc/Diarmaid
>
> I have been having the hardest time understanding bardic and competition.
> Sounds like it would be nigh on impossible to judge and the joy is in the
> listening.  With many tales and ledgends of this expedition, just imagine
> how grand it will appear in the future.  In 20 years people will be reading
> all of them in the Kingdom's IV songbook and wish they too could have been
> there.
>
> Susan
> shamrock at intcon.net

It's become common for groups to have a "Titled Bard" or an official group
bard.  As far as I know these are all selected by a competition of some sort.
Usually the only official bardic activities at an event will be the
competition to select the new bard.  And you are right they can be very
difficult to judge.  It's not uncommon for 7 or 8 bards to give very good
performances of very good material, and the judges have to pick just one of
them.   I've done it a few times and it is pure joy to listen to so many great
performers at the top of their form, and torture to have to pick just one to
be the winner.
    While the competition may be the only 'official' bardic activities, most
events will have a bardic circle in the evening.  A bardic circle is just a
bunch of bards getting together and entertaining each other till odd hours of
the morning.  Competitions tend to feature more formal material while circles
are more relaxed.
    Another, less common, activity is known as firewalking.   One or more
bards wander into a camp, perform a few pieces, if they are welcome, then move
on to the next camp.  The idea being for the bards to entertain the general
populace instead of just each other.  Of course some camps don't want bards
performing.  Usually they will let you know, some politely, some not.  If you
don't have a thick skin firewalking is probably not for you.

Robert Fitzmorgan