NK - question for Robert on bardic

Scott Fridenberg scottf at webzone.net
Thu Sep 9 19:28:10 PDT 1999

Addington, Debbie, A wrote:

> I am composing a story or sonnet, something for the Moonshadowe newcomers
> bardic competition.
>
> My question is:
> Do I have to be able to recite this thing with out looking at it?  I have a
> very short memory and though I do not expect to make a really lengthy story,
> I could get lost in the telling.
> Your help is greatly appreciated on this subject.
>
> Maidenhair

No.  Reading is ok.  In Bardic Competitions in this Kingdom memorization is
almost never REQUIRED, though most judges consider it a plus.  Reading a piece
is definatly better than forgeting your piece in the middle.  Practice being
able to read it while still making eye contact with your audience.  If you can
read while still making a connection with your audience then I have no proublem
with that.  If you bury your face in the paper and never look up from it that's
not good.

Robert