NK - Soda.....and oh, Boffer!

Miriam Cook zahavabathannah at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 17 14:53:27 PDT 2000

I will state first that although I am the NK Y.R.
Marshal, I am not an authorizing marshal. Yoshiie is.
I believe that the reason it takes so long is because
the authorizing marshal needs to know for certian that
the fighter is *safe* and knows how to control the
blade in their hands.  Being safe and having control
of the blade requires that they are confortable with
the weapon in their hand, and has a basic
understanding of the basics of sword play-- and the
amount of time required for that is different person
to person. For example, I was not comfortable with a
blade for quite some time-- almost a year in fact--
and did not fight for authorization (we are talking
about adult rapier here) until this last summer at the
Ensign Tourney. Others however like Tristan (Lucan's
friend) picked up a blade and took off as if they were
meant to do this all along.
I know that all of this sounds very vague, but in my
experience an authorizing marshal just *knows* when a
fighter is ready to "go out on their own" and they are
very picky when it comes to YR.
Hope this helps,
Zahava,  Northkeep YR Marshal

--- "Addington, Debbie, A"