NK - OT/OOP - Forum that might be of interest

Rebecca M. Heydon rebecca-heydon at utulsa.edu
Wed Apr 19 08:58:27 PDT 2000

This is completely non-SCA but I figured it might of interest to some of
you.....

Rowan

Prompted by recent actions by the State Textbook Committee and the
legislative proposal to insert "God" into textbooks, the Tulsa Interfaith
Alliance and the Tulsa Geological Society are sponsoring an educational
forum on the Evolution, Science, and Religion.

"Views on Science, Theories, and Evolution"
April 27, 2000 (Thursday) at 7:30 p.m.
Kirk of the Hills Presbyterian Church
4102 East 61st, Tulsa

Speakers:

Dr. Doren Recker, Prof., Philosophy of Sciences at OSU
"What is Science?  What is Theory?  What is the Theory of Evolution?
Fossil Evidence for Evolution."

Dr. Darwin Boardman, Chair, Dept. of Geosciences, OSU
"Fossil Evidence, Radiometric Dating and Age of the Earth"

Mr. Dan Hicks, BS (Architecture) Biblical Literalist
"Evidence against Evolution"

Mr. Bill Wise, MS Ed (Biology), Broken Arrow High School science teacher,
and science advisor to a member of the Text Book Committee.
"Scientific Evidence against Evolution" and "The basis for rejection of
certain textbooks by the State Textbook Committee."

Dr. Mark Buchheim, Assoc. Professor of Biology, Univ. of Tulsa
"Molecular Evidence for Evolution"

Written questions will be accepted from the audience.

Materials on evolution and creationism will be available, as well as
background information on the speakers, position statements, and resource
lists.  (There will also be materials from the 1st forum held in March.)

The Tulsa Interfaith Alliance is a coalition of laypersons and clergy of
many faiths.  The purpose of the TIA is to:

*  Utilize an interfaith voice of our religious traditions, based on
mutual respect, to be heard in public policy debates regarding the future
direction of our nation, while urging Americans to vote their own
consciences.

*  Uphold our Constitution's great principle of separation of church and
state, and expose every attempt to breach that principle, while extolling
the right of freedom of religion, showing support for the freedom of
public school students of all faiths.

*  Heighten public awareness about key issues and encouraging voter
communication with government officials.

*  Denounce censorship in any form, that would curtail freedom of
expression in all venues, thus protecting our most basic First Amendment
rights -- those of freedom of speech, press, and religion; and

*  Espouse views that uphold our nation's long, proud social contract
with one another, in a compassionate and reasonable effort, to protect
and respect the political and religious liberties for all.

The Tulsa Geological Society's purpose is to educate and disseminate
knowledge of and interest in the science of geology and related earth
sciences, to promote the study and practice of earth sciences as a
profession, and to promote the advancement of earth sciences in all
phases.

For additional information:

James R. Derby, Ph.D.
(918) 749-6908
e-mail:  jderby at aol.com
www.hgs-llc.com/galileo.htm

Tulsa Interfaith Alliance
Rev. Russell Bennett
c/o Fellowship Congregational Church
2900 S. Harvard
Tulsa, OK  74114
(918) 747-7777

Tulsa Geological Society
Jim McGhay, President
(918) 582-4762
Website:  www.tulsageology.org

end
******
Rebecca M. Heydon
University of Tulsa
Mabee Legal Information Center
ph:  918-631-3557
fax:  918-631-2151
rebecca-heydon at utulsa.edu
"If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague."
		--Anonymous
******