NK - Extended authorization periods

Hersir1 at aol.com Hersir1 at aol.com
Mon Apr 17 16:20:43 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/17/00 4:54:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
zahavabathannah at yahoo.com writes:

> I believe that the reason it takes so long is because
>  the authorizing marshal needs to know for certian that
>  the fighter is *safe* and knows how to control the
>  blade in their hands.  Being safe and having control
>  of the blade requires that they are confortable with
>  the weapon in their hand, and has a basic
>  understanding of the basics of sword play-- and the
>  amount of time required for that is different person
>  to person.
stuff snipped
>  I know that all of this sounds very vague, but in my
>  experience an authorizing marshal just *knows* when a
>  fighter is ready to "go out on their own" and they are
>  very picky when it comes to YR.
>  Hope this helps,
>  Zahava,  Northkeep YR Marshal
and

Oh yeah-- on that last post I forgot to mention part
about that "safe" thing-- The authorizing marxhal
needs to also be confident that the fighter will
neither hurt themselves nor their opponent. They need
to have the confidence to be able to call a hold and
stop a fight if they feel that there is any kind of a
problem. Also, they need to be able to make a clean
attack and a clean defence.
Zahava<
All of the above reasons are very valid as to the length of time required for
one to become authorized in either discipline. As I have told other marshals
who have less experience at authorizations than I, I refuse to authorize
someone that I don't know and that I don't feel comfortable with their
comportment on the field. That "comfort" usually involves watching
and interacting regularly with said person in combat situations for a
minimum of several consecutive practices. Part of the reason I do this
is because I feel that my signature on an authorization card is my
affirmation of this persons ability to attack *and* defend in a safe manner
(i.e. one that will not lead to serious injury for either themselves or their
opponent). Further, my signature means, that in a majority of situations,
I'm willing to defend this persons actions and vouch for their behavior.
In my opinion, a hasty authorization is as dangerous for the"authorizee"
as it is for those of us who must face them on the field.

                                Thorgrim
                                  Brokendownoldfighter and authorizing marshal