NK - Fw: Spin class

diane hartzmann dhartzmann at juno.com
Fri Aug 18 13:08:43 PDT 2000

To those within - or out - of the Barony who would be interested:

My sincerest thanks to Isabela for her patience and kindness in keeping
me posted and acting as a go-between in this cotton fray.

As I said in an earlier posting, I'd be happy to teach spinning cotton
but a regular drop
spindle I'm afraid would be an exercise in frustration considering the
staple length of cotton which is approximately 1/2 inch.  You'll need a
spindle called a takli or one that can be spun supported.

If you don't have a takli, it should be fairly easy to contrive one.  The
support can be a small bowl or a piece of leather.

The fiber can be spun directly off the seed so there shouldn't  be any
need to worry about washing it, although we might want to open the
package out of doors at first judging from the description given for
harvesting.  No sense in introducing unnecessary bugs into the house.

I have no problem with cats (except for trying to keep my hands off them)
but I do not handle tobacco well.  Also, my work schedule is such that I
would need to make this on the early side (say, ending around 8 p.m.)
This makes things difficult for most people, I know.  If the weekend
works out best, I'm sure we can work out something.

If anyone would be interested in getting together, give me a holler.

If y'all have already read this before, please forgive me.  Since I was
utlizing Isabela as a go-between I wasn't sure if it had gotten out there
(no insult to you, Isabela).